Perfect for families, romantic getaways and healing or creative retreats! Wind Rose is a 3BR 2 Bth 750ft2 waterview shoreline cottage on Lake Huron on the natural treasure of the Bruce Peninsula 10 mins N of world-famous Sauble Beach. Though summer books up very quickly early in the year, spring and fall are marvellous and peaceful, and winter is fantastic for skiers, snowshoers or sledders. Now featuring an outdoor cedar sauna for the other three seasons!
**For romantic and active Package Pricing please scroll down and use the form to contact us for availability**
Situated on the west side of the Bruce Peninsula (a world biosphere reserve) between the forest & the shore 10 minutes north of Sauble Beach, Wind Rose Cottage is our beloved family cottage and is available to rent all four seasons! Suitable for 6 people when at least 2 are children. Otherwise we'd need to discuss it.
Wind Rose has been totally renovated indoors with beautiful bright new interiors.
**New in 2019! Brand new deck and now a cedar sauna!***
Features include 2nd bathroom with laundry, patio doors from the master bedroom to a sheltered sitting area, all new mattresses and canadian made feather duvets (alternatives available for those with allergies), new appliances including a dishwasher, more kitchen counter space, luxury fittings in the main bathroom, and other details for your comfort and enjoyment.
The living room faces the lake with large windows. A bistro table and chairs are a favoured spot to enjoy the view, as are the lounge chairs and outdoor bench in the front. Off the living room is the front bedroom with a double bed. Behind the living room is the kitchen with tongue and groove pine cathedral ceiling, fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, kettle, blender & coffee/espresso maker.
All dishes, utensils, cookware & cleaning supplies are provided. The kitchen has an eat-in dining area with table and chairs.
On the south side of the kitchen are two rooms: the bunk bed room, and the beautiful 4 piece bathroom with whirlpool tub and thermostatic rain shower head.
Behind the kitchen is a passageway with coat hooks leading to the 2nd bath and master bedroom, now with a queen sized bed, cathedral ceiling, ceiling fan & electric fireplace. The whole back area can be private to the master bedroom if desired, making the second bathroom ensuite. You can step directly outside from the master bedroom to a sitting area with table and chairs, and the rest of the back yard.
The cottage has a deck leading off of the kitchen, part of the deck has a view of the lake, the rest is private and/or covered. A gas bbq is provided.
The backyard is grassy, and has a double hammock, fire pit & picnic table. Just off the master bedroom, the new sitting area features an outdoor bistro table and chairs, a bench and a contained fire area for cool evenings.
Across the road from the cottage is a trail that leads down to the sand beach on Lake Huron. The water is approximately 300 metres through open fen and sand from the front of the cottage.
The beach is shallow entry, great for kids and warms up quickly, after a time drops off to a perfect swimming depth. The last couple of years the water has been higher than usual all summer, covering the sand beach and leaving instead a flat rock area for sunning and water access. The swimming is still gorgeous, clean, clear and sandy bottomed, and several sandier beach areas are within a short distance. The addition of a big sandbox in the cottage backyard adds more sand play options. It looks like the water levels will be high again this year.
The cottage is located on a narrow paved road which is great for walking, biking or roller blading.
There are many kilometres of trails for hiking through the woods behind the cottage; waterproof boots can be useful. Easier, drier trails may be accessed by way of a former through-road found less than 1/2 kilometre North of the cottage. Trail maps are provided in the cottage along with local information.
Water: From well (filtered, tested, drinkable), some people prefer to bring their own drinking water
Beds: one queen, one double, two single (bunks), & sofa bed (queen)
- Microwave, dishwasher, smooth top range, espresso machine
- Radio/cell dock/CD mini stereo
- Outdoor fire pit
- Propane barbecue: large grill surface and side burner (the tank will be full when you arrive, if you need more it's your responsibility to re-fill the tank)
- Sand box, swing, hammock
- Children's toys
- Board games, cards, puzzles
- Well stocked library
- DVD player, flat screen tv with sound bar & movie selection
- Bike trailer for up to 2 small children, can be used as stroller
- Unfortunately insurance regulations no longer allow us to loan our canoe, but you can rent a canoe or kayak from SunTrail outfitter or at the Sauble River
- Pandemic precautions include: Contact free check in, cottage cleaned according to CDC standards including sanitization of high touch surfaces, hand sanitizer provided
Supply your own
(**applies to regular price rentals, please see packages below)
- Campfire wood (please buy locally to avoid importing damaging forest pests)
- Sheets & pillowcases
- Towels: kitchen, bath & swimming
paper towel, kleenex, toilet paper (one each provided)
- Don't forget sunscreen & mosquito repellent
- Bikes are highly recommended!
Packages & Options!
- Snow Sports & Romantic Getaway Packages include all linens, sauna towels, use of sauna, terry robes, some food supplies, and can be booked for single or multiple nights. Provisioning service also available
- Options (extra charges apply):
- Local treats basket: a delicious assortment of local seasonal fruits & vegetables, jams, cheeses, breads, muffins & cookies can greet you.
- Gluten Free local treats basket
*please inquire about adding local eggs, dairy, meats or spirit
- Linens package for regular rentals (for eg. guests arriving by plane) include a set of sheets per bed, bathroom & beach towels, and kitchen linens
About the Area
A World Biosphere Reserve!
The Beautiful Bruce Peninsula is a treasure trove of sandy beaches, limestone escarpment, blue waters, lighthouses, harbors, waterfalls, rare plants, amazing gardens, wide open spaces, hiking trails, farmer’s markets, cozy cafes, talented artists & musicians.
Diversity abounds, as every few kilometers of shoreline offers a different, soul satisfying vista.
The shoreline near the cottage has become a kite boardenthusiast's paradise (great to watch!), and equipment and facilities for all water sports (including scuba diving in Tobermory) are available nearby.
Wind Rose cottage is situated on the Bruce Peninsula Shore, looking west over Lake Huron. 10 km to the south of us is world famous Sauble Beach, 11 km of sandy beach with Blue Flag designation.
Wiarton is only 15 minutes away with shopping, wellness options, a beautiful water front park, friday farmer’s market, and hiking trails.
Beyond those in Sauble & Wiarton, more shops, theatres & museums are 30 minutes away in Owen Sound, or Southampton & Port Elgin and the golf enthusiast can choose from several courses including the world class Cobble Beach Golf Links.
Interaction with Guests
We are happy to provide you with links to area information ahead of time, provide maps and more materials at the cottage and we will be sure to let you know about special events that may be occurring during your stay! We usually arrange to come by to check that you are happy and settled and have found everything you need early in your stay.
The following rates apply to direct bookings that meet the minimum night requirements and do not include linens, cleaning fee or sauna access. Please see packages below.
High Season: June through September (July & August - Full week minimum) are $1450/week and run from Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. to the following Sunday at 11 a.m. Longer periods may be booked and result in shorter periods being available for $250/night.
Regular: Full week rentals October through May are $1325. Weekends or part weeks, if available, are $220/night with a three night minimum. Two night weekends are available April, May, October & November to repeat guests only for $500, holiday weekends excluded. Scroll down to Packages for options for 1-2 night rentals.
Cleaning Fee $80 All guests should leave the cottage reasonably clean.
Discount information: 10% discount for returning guests.
Occupancy: These rates apply to maximum occupancy of 4 adults or up to 6 people including kids. More guests may be possible: talk to me for permission. A surcharge will apply.
Deposits of at least $500/week or $275/weekend are due at booking and the balance is due no later than three weeks before the first day of your rental. Taxes will be added upon booking. A refundable damage deposit of $200 will be returned immediately after check out inspection.
Cancellations: if necessary up to 4 weeks in advance for 100% refund if I'm able to re-book the week; 75% otherwise. If less than 4 weeks, deposit is forfeit unless I manage a last minute booking, in which case the deposit will still be returned. My policies are flexible if there are covid related extenuating circumstances.
- Snow Sports & Romantic Getaway Packages include all linens, sauna towels, use of sauna, terry robes, some food supplies, cleaning fee, and can be booked for single or multiple nights. Provisioning service also available. One week minimum applies in July & August only. Return guest discounts apply.
- 1 night package $350 for 2 people
- 2 night package $575 for 2 people
- additional nights add $250/night for 2 people
- 1 week package $1500 for 2 people
- please enquire re additional guests